Pinkeye, or conjunctivitis (if you want to get technical!), is a highly contagious condition that many of us moms know only too well. And with school about to start again, this little snippet of information may just save your sanity!
I have two daughters in Jr High, so we’ve had our share of playground illnesses, and pinkeye is one of the nasty ones. Whether it’s viral or bacterial, it’s SO contagious!
Before we go any further, it’s important to point out that essential oils never, never, never go in the eye. If you do happen to get oil in your eye by mistake, you must use a carrier oil to flush it out – Fractionated coconut oil, olive oil, vegetable oil … any oil. The reason we do not use water is that oil and water don’t mix, so flushing your eye with water would drive the oil even more into the eye, causing more pain. You have been warned!
So, to help to alleviate the symptoms of the dreaded pinkeye, put one drop of Lavender essential oil on your finger tip, and apply it to the boney socket around your child’s eye. That’s along the eyebrow line, follow the edge of the eye socket under the eye, then up the nose until you meet the eyebrow again.
Using this method, we have totally eliminated the redness in just two applications. Now, isn’t that better than:
- Calling in to work because you have to take your child to the doctor.
- Driving to the doctor’s office.
- Coughing up $$ for the co-pay.
- Sitting in the waiting room waiting for the admitting nurse.
- Sitting in the exam room waiting for the doctor.
- Waiting while the nurse prepares the prescription and discharge instructions.
- Driving to the pharmacy.
- Waiting for your prescription.
- Waiting for your prescription to work.
- Calling in to work because your child can’t go back to school until the pinkeye has been treated.
OK – now go ahead and add up how much all of that cost you in time and money. I’ll wait …
The cost of essential oil to relieve pinkeye
Now do this math. A bottle of high quality Lavender essential oil costs around $28.00. It has 250 drops of oil in it. It takes 2 drops of Lavender oil to relieve the symptoms of pink eye. (Here’s a big hint. It’s about 22 cents.)
Not really much competition, is there?(Sidenote: if you’re treating a baby for pink eye, you can put the oil on the bottoms of their feet. This will lessen the risk of baby inadvertently getting oil in her eye.)